In Defense of Boys

I wonder if mothers of only girls receive comments like:

“Oh, when are you going to have your boy?”

“You are having another baby!  Are you hoping to get your boy?”

“Will you keep trying until you get your boy?”

I suspect that the narrative about families not being complete until they get their boy is not as present as the copious comments I receive about my needing to add a girl to our all-boy family.  Being a girl myself, I’ve got nothing but love for the female sex, but I have to tell you, I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything by not having a girl.  Yet, no matter how far removed I am from my child-bearing years, people are still compelled to remind me how my life with boys will just not be the same without a girl.

“You will never get to paint tiny fingernails!”

photo (10)

photo (8)

“Aw, you will never get to shop and have fun dressing them. Boys could care less about clothes.”

photo (11)

photo (9)

“But it’s so fun to do hair!”

photo (5)

photo (7)

“You will miss out on spa days and girl time. Boys are so dirty.”

photo (3)

photo (2)

“If you don’t have a girl, who will take care of you when you are older?”

photo (1)

I’m sure they’re right, but this girl’s heart belongs to boys.

photo

6 Comments Add yours

1. Jodi Glaser says:

Oh Emily. I can’t tell you how much I loved this. I would not trade my all-boy family for anything. This was perfect. Thank you.

1. Emily says:

You, my friend, are my original boy-mama mentor. 🙂

2. Carla T says:

Love this! I too have all boys and I don’t feel I need a girl to complete our family. I also had 2 miscarriages this year making it a total of 3 and when people would ask if I was hoping “this time it would be a girl”, my response was “we’re just hoping we don’t lose this baby again”. That really stops the conversation:) PS: my boys brush my hair too 🙂

1. Emily says:

Oh Carla – your year must have been such an emotional roller coaster. I think you know that my empathy for miscarriages runs deep…I’m so sorry to hear that. If you ever want to chat more, don’t hesitate to reach out. Despite good intentions, people really do need to to re-categorize comments about fertility as private and not conversation starters like the weather. Here’s to raising sweet boys that can brush hair AND throw a football!

3. jill says:

so special!!!

1. Emily says:

Thanks so much, Jill! I love seeing how your Eliot(sp?) had turned into a grown boy who STILL loves his mother and will take care of her when she is older! Haha.