A Toast to You

Happy New Year!  Well, 2015 doesn’t feel much different, as I am spending my day the same as any other random day of the year – in the kitchen. What is different is that I’m spending my time here in the Fix Serve community and have migrated from my old blog, Pie Eyed, bidding it adieu with gratitude and affection for giving me a safe space to try my hand at blogging.  If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the About page and the My Story page to better understand what I’m up to. I had a couple of friends this year who played a major role in helping me activate my ideas.  I’m a relentless dreamer, the downfall being that I have a hard time deciphering which dreams I should embrace and which ones are just that; dreaming. Right now, in this moment, I am dreaming about:

1. I want to quit my job and buy a coffee farm
  2. I want to adopt a child
  3. I want to write a book
  4. I want to get an MBA
  5. I want to work in impact investing and learn about how to bring people out of poverty through sustainable and culturally relevant business investments.  But I need an MBA first.
  6. I want to find all the people who influence my life in big and small ways and tell them just that.  Then I want to hear their stories, how they are just like me, living out their own personal dreams and demonstrating that the exceptional is usually found underneath the ordinary.

Early in the year, a friend gave me this notebook.  It was one of the most meaningful things I have ever been given because it was the acknowledgement that I needed to know that somewhere in all of my dreams were ones that I needed to trust.  The gift came at a time when I was exhausting myself on all of my thoughts, and this little book gave me permission to write down the dreams that I wanted to trust and begin to sort through my ideas. photo-38 Later in the year, another friend took the time to encourage me to take myself more seriously regarding my writing.  She is always first in line to give me feedback about my essays and reinforces that what might feel like random thoughts to me, resonate with people. She put me in touch with someone who knows what they are talking about and their advice to embrace my idea and put it out into the world was the final push I needed – it was time to trust my crazy ideas. To my friends, and to the friends that will come into my life this year, a toast to you as I make champagne cupcakes to welcome this first day of the new year. IMG_2771 Visit Sprinkle Bakes for the recipe – it’s amazing and I make it every year!  Here’s to being fed in more ways that one in the year ahead!

7 Comments Add yours

1. Arielle says:

They look so incredibly delicious! ❤

1. Emily says:

Thank you Arielle! By the looks of your incredible blog, you could make them look even more amazing. What a great site you have!

1. Arielle says:

Oh wow thank you, this is such a great compliment! ❤️

2. Christie says:

You are amazing!

1. Emily says:

I wish my caps lock was larger so I could give the biggest XO ever. 🙂 Let’s unleash our crazy dream to start a dance party on the rapid this year.

3. Cindy says:

I always love your blogs – you are such a terrific writer. I love the whole concept and mission of fix. serve. I have been exploring the whole issue of loneliness in reading Susan Pinker’s THE VILLAGE EFFECT…62M people in the US say they are socially isolated and are unhappy about it – 32M live alone….the next chapter is about food, drink and social bonds, so I think there is a some connection here ..,the impulse to share food is perhaps hardwired…imagine the possibilities if more and more people intentionally thought of fix. serve. to someone who was lonely or living alone

1. Emily says:

Cindy – YOU TOTALLY GET IT. You nailed it – I can depend on you to always “get” me. That’s where this came from- all of a sudden, sharing food was bringing more into my life than I would have ever imagined. There is something to this, I swear. I’m going to have to take a look at that book – sounds really interesting.